About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Reconceptualizing Educational Research Methodology (RERM) is an open-access, on-line, peer reviewed, English-language journal publishing work that investigates and theorizes a variety of experimental and exploratory research methodologies in educational contexts. RERM welcomes critical academic scholarship that seeks to advance contemporary research methodologies. The journal is particularly keen to include work shaped by poststructuralist, feminist, post/ de-colonialist, posthumanist and affective approaches to research methodologies. RERM welcomes contributions that are committed to advancing epistemologies and ontologies as they relate to social inequities and justice in educational contexts. The journal is open to publishing work that pushes against conventions for academic articles, and so welcomes arts-based, image rich and multi-modal submissions. It remains important that all publications are accessible to the widest of audiences including those with visual impairments. Whilst the publication language of the journal is English, bilingual terms, quotes and references are welcomed.
Peer Review Process
Reconceptualizing Educational Research Methodology (RERM) is an open-access, peer-reviewed journal that publishes high-quality, original articles in English. All manuscripts are subjected to a rigorous process of double-anonymised peer review by those with expertise pertinent to the focus of a given manuscript. Only manuscripts that align with the Focus and Scope of the journal will be sent out for peer review.
Reviewers are expected to offer critically affirmative feedback on submissions that will assist authors to develop their work in readiness for publication. Reviewers should not disclose the content of work under review to others prior to publication. The Editors regard peer review to be an ethical process requiring care; feedback should constructively support authors to develop their work in anticipation of publication in RERM. Composing reviewer feedback is a craft that develops over time - we ask reviewers to be mindful of tone and ensure that their suggestions for amendments are encouraging and constructive. We also encourage early career researchers, new to reviewing, to work with a more experienced reviewer to develop these skills.
All material published in RERM is open access but licensed in order to protect the original content.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content in a commitment to making research freely available to the public to support greater global exchange of knowledge.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to comply with the following criteria:
- The submission is not previously published, or under consideration at another journal,
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word or RTF document file format.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except for URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in ‘About the Journal’.
- All figures must be visually interpreted. Describe the content in 1-4 sentences per figure. This must also be provided for hyperlinks to external content.
- Where available, provide URLs for the references.
- Where available, provide DOIs for the references. We encourage authors to copy the whole reference list and paste it in the Crossref Simple Text Query to find missing DOIs: https://apps.crossref.org/SimpleTextQuery
- Follow the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review. See also specific instructions for Word on removing personal information from documents.
- The submission file size does not exceed 8 MB. Reduce size by decreasing the resolution of photos or changing file format of the photos used, by using photo editing software e.g. Photoshop or the freeware GIMP.
- Confirm research ethics approvals have been given and be prepared to provide this upon request. (Also see the Guidelines from the national research ethics committees)
Manuscripts should be prepared in accordance to APA style and double-spaced including references, notes, abstracts, quotations, and tables.
The title page should include all authors' names, affiliations, and professional degrees; the corresponding author's e-mail address. The title page should be followed by an abstract of 150 words. When submitting articles authors should include a statement on the title page confirming that all authors have agreed to the submission, that the text is original, and that it has not been published or submitted elsewhere. For the purposes of anonymised-peer review, the full name of each author with current affiliation and full phone/email details plus short biographical note should be supplied on the title page only.
Also, for the purposes of anonymised-peer refereeing, authors should replace all self-citations in the text and reference list with anonymous citations, in the style (Author, 2009), etc. Any citation that includes any of the authors should be replaced with (Author A and others, 2003) in the text, and in the reference list at 'Au' put 'Author A and others (2003), details withheld for peer review' followed by Author B and others, if necessary.
Manuscripts should be submitted as email attachments in MS Word format. Please do not over-format the manuscript as this impedes the publication process.
All artwork, graphics, line diagrams and photographs should be termed 'Figures' and referred to as such in the manuscript. They should be numbered consecutively. Figures may include picture captions, but should have short descriptive captions at the end of the document to provide information to readers using screen reading software.
Headings and sub-headings should be clearly distinguished.
Use single quotation marks with double quotes inside single quotes.
RERM is an open access journal involving no financial exchange.
Make a new submission to the Articles section.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Privacy Statement Edit
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.